Sunday, January 24, 2010

My Sister's Keeper


So I finished reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult the other day and it is quite possibly the saddest book I've ever read. I'd been reading it mostly at work because the book actually belongs to one of my co-workers. I picked it up about a week ago and started reading the first couple pages to just see what it was about; and then I got hooked.

I've never read Jodi Picoult before, but if all her books are as good as this one, then I think I’ll be reading more of her. She's a master of first person and really getting into a characters mind. This makes it really easy to care about the characters and fall in love, or hate, them.

For instance, I can't stand the mother in this book. I just want to choke her and ram her head into a wall. She is so dead set on saving one daughter that she completely forgets about the other. For those of you who haven't read the book or seen the movie, the basic plot of the story is that there is one sister who has leukemia and one sister who has been donating her blood and bone marrow to the sick one since she was born. Now the sister who isn't sick is suing her parents so that she doesn't have to donate anymore, thus sentencing her sick sister to death. Twisted but really good at the same time.

Anyway, it's a super sad story. I finished it here at work and I had to work really hard to not cry at the end. Now I want to go and see the movie and I'm sure it's going to be a sob-fest.

No comments:

Post a Comment