Friday, January 18, 2013

Book Review: Wool

Info & Picture from Amazon

5 STARS!



This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

~~~


Over on the AW Forums in the Sci-fi/Fantasy section there a monthly book discussion thread. I try to participate when I can. :) And this month they book that was chosen was Wool. It wasn't my first choice but I don't regret it.

Normally I'm not one for dystopia. It's always so dark and bleak, or at least the summaries sound that way, and thus I don't pick them up to read them. Now Wool is a collection of short stories and novellas. The first one is pretty bleak but it get better and it becomes more and more interesting.

By the middle of the book I was dying to know all the answers. Why was humanity stuck in under ground silos? What happened to the Earth to make it so awful on the surface? Why weren't the people in charge telling their people the truth? Howey did a good job in keeping me guessing.

He also created some great characters. Even the ones that you don't see much of are well rounded, fleshed out people. And of course, the main character, Juliette, is a fun and interesting character to follow. She fights for what is right and is not afraid of a little hard work or struggle to get what she needs. She's a good strong female lead.

And the end of the book, wow, I did not see that coming. I honestly wasn't sure if everything would end happy or not. The first couple stories in the book don't end on a happy note at all, so I had no idea how the whole thing would turn out.

In the end I really enjoyed the read. There's more to this series and I'm very curious to read it. So I'll be adding those to my massive To Be Read pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment