Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Life Experiment

I came to a realization last night. I spend way to much time on my computer doing nothing and most of that time is spent checking Facebook, Twitter and Absolute Write over and over again. And really not much happens during the day.

I've known for a while that I have a weakness for being lazy. I'm easily distracted with books, games and anything that I can use as an excuse to not get needed things done. I've been like this since I was a teenager, and this my bad grades in high school and college. I can always find something else I'd rather be doing than cleaning, or writing, or even playing with my boys.

The end result of this is that I've been miserable and feeling guilty all the time. I have these high expectations for my self. I know what I should be doing, I know that I am capable of doing it, I just chose not too because I'd "rather do something fun". It's a pretty immature attitude.

I'm 26 and the mother of two boys, it's time I grow the F* up. I know this will be hard at first. It will take a lot of self discipline and self control to keep away from all the things I have that distract me. But I also know that I can do it and that I'll be a better person for it.

So what happens now? Well, I won't be online as much as I used to be. I'll check in maybe once or twice a day, but that's it. I want to have it that the only thing I use my computer for is to write or research things. Plus, I'll have to keep from playing games on my Kindle. I already don't watch much TV, Will has a hold of that most of the day. And I won't stop reading, I need something to make me happy.

So we'll see how keeping off the internet for a week goes. If I can do it without going crazy and see how much I can get accomplished when I'm not sitting on my butt all day.

Thanks for reading! Have a happy Thursday and November. I'll check back in a week and tell y'all how it went.


1 comment:

  1. Girl, I know. Why do you think you haven't seen me much? I miss my friends, tho, and feel like everyone has some sort of secret handshake going on without me..... best of luck.

    ReplyDelete