Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Quickie Reviews!

Have I mentioned that I have a big list of books I've been wanting to review? Well, in light of that I'm doing a quickie edition where I review two books in one post because they don't deserve a post by them selves.


Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?  3 Stars
(Taken from Amazon)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? was published in 1968. Grim and foreboding, even today it is a masterpiece ahead of its time.

By 2021, the World War had killed millions, driving entire species into extinction and sending mankind off-planet. Those who remained coveted any living creature, and for people who couldn't afford one, companies built incredibly realistic simulacrae: horses, birds, cats, sheep. . . They even built humans.

EmigrĂ©es to Mars received androids so sophisticated it was impossible to tell them from true men or women. Fearful of the havoc these artificial humans could wreak, the government banned them from Earth. But when androids didn't want to be identified, they just blended in. 

Rick Deckard was an officially sanctioned bounty hunter whose job was to find rogue androids, and to retire them. But cornered, androids tended to fight back, with deadly results.



~*~*~*~*~*~*


This book was recommended to me by my sister. She's a science fiction fan while I'm more fantasy so we've been suggesting books for each other to read.


I gave this book three stars because it just wasn't my cup of tea. All the technical stuff was really good, but I was bored reading it. I didn't connect with Rick at all and the world in general kind of lost me. I guess I was looking for a lot more action but it just didn't come. So while it is a good book, it's just not my kind of thing.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Pride and Prejudice and Zombies  0 Stars
(Taken from Amazon)
The New York Times Best Seller now with 30% more zombies!
 
“It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.” So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded version of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. This deluxe heirloom edition includes a new preface by coauthor Seth Grahame-Smith, thirteen oil painting illustrations by Roberto Parada, and a fascinating afterword by Dr. Allen Grove of Alfred University. Best of all, this limited special edition features an incredible 30 percent more zombies—via even more all-new scenes of carnage, corpse slaying, and cannibalism. Complete with a satin ribbon marker and a leatherette binding designed to endure for generations, this hardcover volume honors a masterpiece of classic zombie literature. 

~*~*~*~*~*

This book was terrible on every level it is possible to be terrible. I didn't even finish reading it. I'm a huge fan of Jane Austen and P&P is my favorite of her work. Of course, I thought I knew what I was getting into when I bought this book. I expected it to be funny and quirky and I was just curious to see what the author did with the idea.

I could write a college essay on what makes this book so awful, but I'll spare you that. I'll just say that I kind of wish I had bought a "real" copy of this (instead of on my Kindle) just so that I could have burnt it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

And there you have it! I'll wait until next week for my next review. It'll be two books again, but they're part of a series and go hand in hand.  Happy Wednesday Readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment